Wear and tear is a natural occurrence in any lawn that gets a lot of use, causing patchy grass or creating bald spots in your lawn.
But if the rest of your lawn is in good condition and only a few areas need a little help – it’s easy enough to do a quick repair! Knowing how to repair patches in your lawn is the quickest way to get your garden grass healthy and lush again!
For any bald spots the best course of action is to reseed it to help it grow fast and thicken up. It is important to level out any patches or bald spots so that they match the rest of your lawn. This can be done with top soil. We recommend avoiding using compost in these areas, as it can introduce unwanted weed seeds. To repair patches in your lawn, follow these steps;
- Fill in the patchy / bald spots with top soil.
- Use the back of your rake to level the top soil with the rest of your lawn.
- Sprinkle your grass seed on top of your top soil.
- Rake the seed in, then level it once again with the back of your rake.
- Water this patch once a day every day for six weeks, avoiding when there is rainfall.
For thinning areas, the method of repair is similar – but you should consider feeding your lawn to thicken up the grass you already have, prior to seeding. A 6 week quick feed such as our Pre-Seed First Feed or Oh So Green will help your grass flourish again. You can learn how to use our lawn food here.
- Remove any dead grass and rake in top soil on the thinning area.
- Level the patch with the rest of your lawn, using the back of your rake.
- Spread a fast acting lawn food on top of the thinning area while wearing a glove. Water until the lawn food granules dissolve.
- Leave the lawn food to work on the patch for at least two weeks.
- Sprinkle your seed on the top soil, rake the seed in, then level it once again with the back of your rake .
- Water this area once a day every day for six weeks, avoiding when there is rainfall.
What grass seed should I use to repair patches?
The best grass seed to use to repair your patches is one that is fit for purpose, and will blend in well with the rest of your lawn. For example, if your lawn gets a lot of use it's best to use our Fast Grow Family Lawn, and if you have clay soils you should opt for our New Build Dream Lawn. If you have pets our Tough Stuff Lush Lawn will put up with all the 'ruff' and tumble. For shaded areas our Shade Supreme Lawn will work best, or if you simply want the finest lawn that life can offer - go for our Super Fine Luxury Lawn!